What is the Parent Volunteer Community ?
The Parent Volunteer Community exists to promote activities to raise funds and encourage volunteers for the immediate improvement of the classrooms and campuses and to provide educational and friend-making programs for the families at School of the Woods.
Each parent is automatically a member and each has the right to attend meetings and participate in the decisions. There is no membership fee.
Activities are funded with donations from the parents and admission fees for selected events.
The Parent Volunteer Community has four main goals
It accomplishes these goals through social events, fundraisers, educational presentations and volunteer participation at the school. Coordinators, committee chairs and other interested volunteers meet periodically, usually on Wednesday mornings/evenings to plan and organize these activities. The meetings are open to all parents.
The four main goals are listed below, along with a list of typical annual activities:
- Promote Social Interaction
- Hosts the September Welcome Coffee
- Sponsors the Back-to-School Social for Adults
- Organizes the Chili Cookoff
- Organizes the Spring Picnic
- Hosts the May End of Year Coffee
Aid in Immediate Improvements to the School
- Donates to all classrooms to support seasonal activities &/or end of year celebrations.
- Donates to all classrooms from Annual Fundraisers. These funds are used to purchase classroom materials.
- Hosts occasional Parent Volunteer Meetings, with varied presentations
- Contributes to the monthly newsletter
- Provides assistance to families with personal emergencies through the Care Committee
- Publicizes each of the above events with posters, flyers, and email announcements
Provide Educational Programs
- In conjunction with the teaching staff, hosts programs on Montessori Education such as, the Montessori Journey and others
- Classroom volunteers are directed by teachers in various activities, such as gardening, being parent listeners, cooking in class for cultural events, pet-sitting for holidays.
- Please contact your teacher for classroom volunteer opportunities.
Parent Volunteer Activities are the result of the participation of many parents at the school. Some of our parents are able to commit substantial time as coordinators, committee chairs and committee members for activities, while others volunteer for particular events or classroom activities, as their time and interests permit. Still others offer goods and services or support our efforts by purchasing tickets and attending the various events. When all is said and done, over 90 percent of our parents actively participate in volunteer activities at the school. We are indebted to volunteers for their continuing support and involvement.